We have 15 days until Rodney Reed is legally murdered by the State of Texas. Stacey Stites was raped and murdered in 1996. Rodney Reed has been on death row for 21 years for her murder, despite ample evidence of his innocence.
Here’s a whole lot of reasons why we need to stop this murder:
1) The only DNA evidence found in the pick-up truck Stites supposedly drove to work belonged to her and her police-officer fiancee, Jimmy Fennell.
2) There was DNA belonging to two cops, with whom Fennell worked, found on beer cans near where Stites’ body was dumped. Fennell’s lawyers did not present this evidence during Reed’s trial.
3) Stites’ cause of death was ruled as “ligature strangulation”. Fibers from a belt were found near her body and truck. The belt was recovered, but never tested for DNA evidence. NEVER EVEN TESTED.
4) The forensic experts who testified in Reed’s trial later submitted affidavits saying that Stites’ original time of death was wrong.
5) According to Stites’ cousin and coworker, whose testimonies were never heard in court, Reed and Stites were having a consensual affair. Reed’s semen was found on Stites. However, the medical examiner rescinded his statement on the DNA, because the cells were falling apart. This indicates that the sperm was older than 24 hours, which is long before Stites disappeared, making the DNA evidence invalid.
6) In fact, Fennell was their prime suspect for months. Fennell’s best friend, another police officer, also admitted that Fennel gave two different accounts of his whereabouts on the night of the murder. A deputy also recently admitted that Fennell made comments with details about the body that weren’t disclosed by the police.
7) According to an insurance salesperson, Fennell threatened Stites while buying life insurance.
8) Fennell was sentenced to ten years in prison in 2007 for the kidnapping and rape of a woman in police custody.
9) While in prison, Fennell supposedly told an inmate that “I had to kill my n*-loving fiancée.” So, he’s a rapist and a racist…See where we’re going with this?
10) Finally, Reed was convicted by an all white jury for the murder of a white woman.
Head over to the Action page to find out how we can #SaveRodneyReed